Steps to register a US company in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq
The company must complete and sign the official registration form
of the KRG Ministry of Trade and send it to the KRG-US office for completion.
Along with the completed registration form, the company must provide the following documents (originals only
) to the KRG-US office for approval:
- An authorization letter on company letterhead, allowing another person to act on the company’s behalf in the Kurdistan Region. The authorized person can be an American who travels to the Kurdistan Region or it can be an American or Kurdish local already based there. The letter must be notarized before receiving the KRG-US office’s approval.
- Last year’s financial declaration of the company, which also must be notarized before receiving the KRG-US office’s approval.
- Articles of Incorporation, which must be authenticated by the state Secretary of State before receiving the KRG-US office’s approval.
- Business registration documents issued by the state, which must be authenticated by the state Secretary of State before receiving the KRG-US office’s approval.
- Leasing papers for the office based in the Kurdistan Region
- Documentation for the company’s legal advisor and accountant
Once approved by the KRG-US office, the authorized person acting on behalf of the company in the Kurdistan Region must submit the above paperwork to the Director General at the Ministry of Trade’s Registration Department in Erbil. The processing fee for registration is $160.
Please mail the original documents for approval to the KRG-US office:
Kurdistan Regional Government—USA
1532 16th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20036 USA
***NOTE: Please allow 5 business days to process the paperwork. If mailed to the KRG-US office, the documents will be mailed back via regular mail. If an expedited return of the documents is needed, please include a pre-paid, self-addressed FedEx or USPS envelope.
For questions about the registration process please email email@example.com
Deloitte provides a helpful guide:How to Start-Up: Doing Business in the Kurdistan Region
The latest data available from Invest In Group: Kurdistan Facts and Figures 2013
Investment Law For the Kurdistan Region (KURDISH): Investment Law Kurdish
The Kurdistan Board of Investment provides An Investment Guide for the Kurdistan Region-Iraq